Alleged 9/11 Mastermind Trial To Resume
The long-delayed trail of Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the man accused of masterminding the 9/11 attacks, is set to resume in a military tribunal at Guantanamo Bay.
Four other accused hijackers are also being charged. Military charges against the five men were re-sworn in June. On Wednesday Ret. Vice Adm. Bruce MacDonald, the official overseeing commissions, sent the case for trial, reports the Washington Post.
The men face charges of murder in violation of the law of war, attacking civilians, attacking civilian objects, hijacking aircraft and terrorism. If convicted, the men face the death penalty. During the last case, the defendants said they would plead guilty because they wanted to be executed and die as martyrs.
An arraignment will be held at Guantanamo next month. Here, it will be made clear if the men still plan on pleading guilty. Some information learned from Mohammed was learned after extensive water boarding and is likely to be an issue at the trial.
A Pentagon report emerged Tuesday that found some remains from the 9/11 victims ended up in landfills.
According to the Wall Street Journal, investigators found a 2002 memo that said portions of the victims of the Pentagon attack and those aboard the Flight 93 Shanksville, Pa. plane crash could not be identified and as a result were cremated at a civilian crematory. The remains were then transferred to a biomedical waste-disposal contractor who dumped them in a landfill.
CNN reports the mortuary said the disposal of the remains at the landfill were not in the contract and had previously assumed no residual remains existed.
Dover Air Force Base, the military mortuary responsible for handling deceased U.S. troops, has previously been under fire for similar circumstances. Last November, it was discovered that the remains of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan were dumped in a Virginia landfill and not revealed to the surviving family members.
The White House issued a statement on the matter, saying it was “deeply concerned” about the improper disposal and “the unacceptable handling of remains at Dover,” said the Washington Post.